Digital Category Manager (Procurement)
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth.
About the role
Lead the Global Digital Procurement Category utilising broad knowledge of sourcing to develop and execute sourcing strategies with IT Suppliers that support the Global Supply and Manufacturing objectives - building and maintaining reliable and high-quality supply strategies at the best possible cost. Key responsibilities include;
- Lead Abcam's Digital category.
- Globally accountable for a cost-efficient sourcing models (including planning, defining business needs, assessing supply market, defining strategy, execution, supplier selection and contracting), for all requirements and locations in scope.
- Partner with the relevant internal and external stakeholders to develop a short and long term best in class sourcing strategy for the category, ensuring to understand and incorporate market trends, dynamics and requirements are ‘fit for purpose’. Work cross-functionally to discuss and resolve ongoing supplier-related issues.
- Create Category management tools and techniques that address cost, value added opportunities, business continuity, quality and supply.
- Negotiate contractual terms with suppliers of the category to achieve quality, supply, service and cost targets.
- Create SRM models that address the business needs above and beyond price. Developing strategic suppliers and long-term gains that address the ongoing challenges of the business and supplier base.
- In addition to delivering against cost savings targets. Adopt a total cost of ownership mindset to drive new ways of working with the business and suppliers that add value
- Contribute and adhere to procurement policies and procedures to improve the compliance agenda and drive best practices.
- Apply risk management techniques to ensure appropriate measures are taken to mitigate against financial, reputational, legal, business continuity and performance risk exposure. Escalate as required to maintain value to Abcam.
- Degree ideally in Business, or Supply Chain Management.
- Holder of CIPS accreditation, working towards, or willingness to enrol and complete within two years.
- Significant experience in IT procurement or supply chain management; experience in biotechnology / pharmaceutical / life sciences is preferred although not essential.
- In addition, you will have dealt with outsourcing agreements and have experience in managing these relationships from a commercial and contractual perspective.
- Strong and recent knowledge across the Digital procurement category; including software, hosting, hardware, professional services, and consultancy is required Particular focus will be on the experience of dealing with market leading IT organisations.
- Proven track record in creating and executing Category Management strategies, with ability to lead negotiations and deliver cost savings.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!