Procurement Category Manager (Direct Materials)
Abcam is a global life sciences company providing highly validated antibodies and other binders and assays to the research and clinical communities to help advance the understanding of biology and causes of disease.
Our mission is to serve life scientists to help them achieve their mission faster by listening to their needs, continuously innovating and improving and by giving them the tools, data and experience they want. Our ambition is to become the most influential life science company for researchers worldwide.
About the role:
Utilise broad knowledge of sourcing to develop and execute sourcing strategies with Direct Material Suppliers that support the Global Supply and Manufacturing objectives - building and maintaining reliable and high quality supply strategies at the best possible cost. Establish the approach to maximise value, as Abcam grows, while maintaining supplier relationships. Responsible to work directly with key business stakeholders – to understand strategic initiatives required to support business objectives in Direct Material supply, as well as opportunities for supply network consolidation and managing business risk. Need to understand market trends and work to identify areas of improvement to drive additional value for the organisation, while meeting the business requirements.
You will use your relationship management, operations optimisation, continuous improvement, contract design & oversight skills to deliver best total cost, pushing the implementation of best practice in the procurement of external manufacturing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Globally accountable for a cost-efficient sourcing model for all requirements and locations in scope.
- Partner with the relevant internal and external stakeholders to work towards achieving goals within current sourcing strategy for the category, ensuring to understand and incorporate market trends, dynamics and requirements are ‘fit for purpose’.
- Work cross-functionally to discuss and resolve ongoing supplier-related issues.
- Create Category management tools and techniques that address cost, value added opportunities, business continuity, quality and supply.
- Negotiate contractual terms with suppliers of the category to achieve quality, supply, service and cost targets.
- Create SRM models that address the business needs above and beyond price. Developing strategic suppliers and long term gains that address the ongoing challenges of the business and supplier base.
- Adopt a total cost of ownership mindset to drive new ways of working with the business and suppliers.
- Contribute and adhere to procurement policies and procedures to improve the compliance agenda and drive best practices.
- Apply risk management techniques to ensure appropriate measures are taken to mitigate against financial, reputational, legal, business continuity and performance risk exposure.
Either a degree in Business, Economics, Operations / Engineering / Supply Chain Management or MCIPS ideally both.
Experienced in procurement or supply chain management; experience in biotechnology / pharmaceutical / life sciences is preferred although not essential.
Proven track record in creating and executing Category Management
Ability to lead negotiations and deliver cost savings
Previous experience leading contract negotiations that minimize / reduce risk exposure to the business.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong Influencing skills to manage stakeholders and suppliers
• Translate business needs into tangible procurement strategies and value
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Results driven whilst not losing sight of the business needs
• Passion to learn and grow within a procurement organisation
• Excellent interpersonal/communication and presentation skills.
• Agile with an ability to advocate change and improve ways of working
• Ability to influence across business and departments – at all levels of both suppliers and Abcam
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.