Pipeline Senior Scientist - Research
About the role
We are seeking a skilled, passionate and goal-driven professional to join our team. Our group focuses on challenging projects with the aim to anticipate and address the recombinant antibody needs of researchers 5-10 years in the future.
Working with the goal of obtaining best in-class affinity reagents and optimizing a platform, the successful candidate will take a leadership role in the company’s use of a wide variety of cell biology, molecular biology, genomics and proteomics techniques in support of various independent and collaborative projects.
This professional must possess a strong background in cell biology, immunology, and/or antibody development. We’re passionate about development at Abcam and the successful candidate will help us to supervise and mentor junior staff, manage multi-faceted projects from start to finish with minimal input and contribute to long term research planning.
About Research Team at Abcam
The Research Team is responsible for delivering pipeline solutions to the business to address the business need of high-quality affinity reagents 5-10 years in the future.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Apply and develop new experimental capabilities related to antibody discovery and validation
- Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theory in antibody discovery and development to implement new technologies for antibody and assay development
- Develop and optimize robust, scalable strategies for improving process, workflow and performance
- Work independently to deliver on specific individual and corporate objectives
- Work collaboratively as a scientific and technical leader with global Abcam teams, and contribute to and/or deliver on specific strategic initiatives
- Work with external scientific collaborators as needed
- Conduct day-to-day problem solving, work prioritization, and co-ordination across the team and other groups to ensure project deadlines are met
- Independently design, plan and conduct laboratory experiments as well as perform data analysis; write reports and present results and project assessments to Senior Management
- May be required to author grants and manuscripts, present to a wider audience, and/or attend conferences, etc.
- May be required to train & supervise a group of associates for timely delivery of project objectives
- All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities
- Ph. D. degree or >15 years in immunology, cell biology, microbiology, virology, molecular biology or closely related discipline
- 5+ years of post-doctoral experience in immunology, B-cell biology, high-throughput biology, antibody engineering or monoclonal antibody development
- Working knowledge of monoclonal antibody generation methods from immunized animals, including hybridoma generation or B-cell cloning
- Experience with membrane-bound or translationally-modified proteins is a plus
- Experience with antibody screening and characterization assays including ELISA, cell based ELISAs, flow cytometry and FACS sorting
- Exposure to designing immunization strategies against difficult targets including immunogen design and selection
- Experience with NGS platforms and/or bioinformatics is a plus
- Demonstrated experience with planning, directing and managing project plans to completion
- Prior experience working in industry, highly preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite is preferred
- Must possess and demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills
- Critical thinking and independent judgement with minimal direction necessary
- Candidates with management experience preferred
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!