Lead Manufacturing Specialist
Position requires weekend work (e.g., Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday)
About the role
When you join us at Abcam, you’ll be part of a smart, driven and motivated team that shares our passion for serving life scientists to achieve their research missions, faster. With revenues of more than £250M, significant ongoing growth and more than 1,500 global employees, we give our people the resources and opportunities to build amazing careers whilst making significant contributions to improved human health outcomes. Our most valuable asset is our employees, and our ambition is to ensure we have outstanding and passionate people working in the very best teams. If you are looking to advance your career, are seeking new challenges/opportunity, enjoy working in dynamic and diverse teams and wish to make a real impact on people’s lives then Abcam is where you need to be.
We are seeking full-time, permanent Lead Manufacturing Specialist/s for our brand new, state-of-the-art facility in Eugene, Oregon. This site increases the company’s scale and capacity in kit manufacturing. Reporting to the Head of Kits Manufacturing, as a member of the Kits and Assays production value stream, the Lead Manufacturing Specialist will be an integral member of the team responsible for providing additional capacity and/or supervision when necessary in a wide array of different areas and aspects of the manufacturing process. This role would allow you the ability to work on continuous improvement & strategic projects, manufacturing services, batch production, quality control, and inventory management as they relate to the production of antibodies, conjugated antibody pairs, proteins and cellular and immuno assays, Simple Step Elisa and biochemical and cell-based assay kits.
The successful candidate/s will be responsible for the formulation, testing and packaging of products to detailed documented instructions. They will work collaboratively to manufacture and test replenishment batches of our varied and growing catalogue of products for life science research and diagnostic applications. Predominantly operating in a laboratory setting and requiring the use of personal protective equipment (lab coat, eye protection and gloves), the environment in batch production is fast paced and provides ample opportunity to master a diverse range of biotech, manufacturing and testing skills.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Supervision manufacturing associates on weekend shifts (Sunday-Thursday, Tuesday-Saturday)
- Responsible for manual/automated production/testing/assembly operations in compliance with standard operating procedures and relevant regulatory requirements.
- Mix and aliquot bulk reagents and other solutions.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the material validation processes and run the day-to-day validation data collection and the recording and communication of results.
- Lead and implement continuous improvement & strategic projects
- Maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Monitor and maintain the operation of the general lab environment and instrumentation.
- Maintain physical and digital raw material, intermediate, bulk and finished goods inventory.
- Initiate problem reports related to production issues and contribute to problem solving and departmental lean activities.
- Contribute to and support the achievement of departmental and corporate goals.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a performance-based operation and a culture of quality and continuous improvement.
- Maintain a safe and healthy working environment.
- May be required to perform other duties as required/assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry, bioengineering, biology, chemical engineering or a related field, or the equivalent industry experience preferably in an ISO 9001 certified or a lean manufacturing environment, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent computer skills including instrument specific software, ERP software and a proficiency in the Microsoft office suite.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience with a variety of laboratory related equipment.
- Displays the manual dexterity required to operate office and laboratory equipment.
- Physically capable to perform the essential functions of this role. The employee is frequently required to work standing for extended periods and occasionally lift 40 pounds.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in biochemistry, bioengineering or biology.
- 1+ year working in a laboratory-based manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge and experience operating in a lean manufacturing environment.
- Experience working within a culture of quality, performance and continuous improvement.
- Experience working in a regulated environment (e.g., ISO9001).
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Ability to operate in a multidisciplinary team environment.
You are a demonstrated hardworking individual and proven high performer in your previous roles. You are looking to widen your manufacturing experience and skillset to best position you for future career aspirations. You are a detail-oriented person who possesses excellent communication and organizational skills. You thrive in a fast-paced team environment you know what good looks like, are goal oriented and have strong problem-solving skills. You’d like to be part of a rapidly growing business that delivers quality products and services through efficient, effective manufacturing with the vision to become the most influential company and best loved brand in life sciences.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998,?Abcam plc?(www.abcam.com)?began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.??
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this?outcome,?the company?both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe,?and?sources?from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.?
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.