Lead Front End Engineer
When you join Abcam, you will have the opportunity to work with a purpose driven life sciences organisation undergoing an exceptionally exciting digital revolution.
We are ambitious. We are digitally evolving and need exceptional talent to help us drive that journey. We will design, architect and develop the prototype into a product, make it manufacturable, listen to customers and turn it profitable. The hub is a unique blend of a digital, start-up environment, within a purpose-driven organisation, achieving our objective of serving life scientists to achieve their mission, faster.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
We all have clear goals to reach at Abcam, and we’re encouraged to be original in how we get there. No matter your role, be it a Credit Controller or a Lab Technician or Solution Architect, we know that tried-and-tested doesn’t always mean best.
Dare to be different, dare to be ambitious, and you’ll help us change the game in our industry. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer our multi-award-winning global share purchase plan, AbShare, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
About the Role
We are looking for a Lead Front End Engineer for our omnichannel platform, that brings a broad set of technical skills and product achievements, a development and customer focused mindset to solving problems, and bring news ideas and digital thinking into our global Architecture capability.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and enable a team of engineers to deliver high-quality software
- Manage a line of talented engineers, help them plan their growth and set them up for success
- Work with team members and product and technology peers to design new world class digital products, platforms and customer experiences
- Collaborate cross-functionally to implement the digital products required to support our vision and digital strategy
- Develop our software engineering strategy, best practices, technology stack and architecture to drive quality, accuracy and agility
- Collaborate with members of the global Abcam team to implement and support aspiring strategic efforts, provide constructive feedback, and foster a collaborative environment of product and engineering excellence
- Significant Front End Software Engineering experience, with demonstrable technical expertise in system design
- Experience in continuously delivering high-quality software using React, Angular or Vue
- Develop technical documentation, diagrams and templates and be rigorous in maintaining accuracy and relevancy of developed materials
- Experience developing and maintaining front-end CI/CD pipelines using systems such as GitLab CI, GitHub Actions, Jenkins etcetera
- Experience in automated software testing, feeling comfortable writing functional and/or unit tests
- Willingness to work with your colleagues to develop best software engineering practices and share knowledge
- Ability to write technical documentation and develop diagrams for software solutions
- Experience working in collaboration with Product Managers, QA Engineers, Designers and other stakeholders
- Ability to act as an informed leader and make data-driven decisions on behalf of Abcam
- Be curious, audacious and not afraid to ask questions and challenge the way things are done today and own improvements to culture and process
- Inform, educate and develop team members and peers to grow expertise, develop alignment and encourage collaboration
- Able to present ideas and solutions concisely and in an engaging manner
- Passionate about enriching engineering culture and delivering engineering excellence
- Demonstrate agility, pick up new technologies and embrace change
Bonus points (although not required) if you have one of the following…
- Strong React experience, familiarity with SSR, React Hooks and state management solutions
- Experience working with TypeScript
- Experience with Micro Frontends architecture
- Experience configuring bundlers such as Webpack, Parcel, Rollup etcetera
- Experience with GitLab CI
- Experience developing multi-environment, multi-market software at scale
Our Tech Stack
You are an engineer at heart, therefore let us share our ever-evolving technology stack with you.
On the front end, we are developing multiple front-end applications following micro front-ends architecture, which allows our teams to grow and scale, delivering software rapidly with minimal friction. We use React with TypeScript and Styled Components. We use GitLab CI for our CI/CD pipelines. We consume back-end services using REST HTTP calls and GraphQL. Search engine visibility and asset optimization is important to us, so we implement SSR with Next.js.
For the back end, we focus on developing resilient, highly-available, performant software with top class observability and fault tolerance. We are using Node.js to develop microservices and back-end application. We leverage technologies such as Docker, Serverless Framework and TypeScript. We serve back-end APIs internally, to our customers (B2C) and to our partners (B2B). We are using tools such as message queues, Kafka for event streaming, Amazon SNS, Postgres and more. Our infrastructure sits in Amazon Web Services. Supported by our wonderful Platform Team, we are able to deliver software on Kubernetes or in a serverless manner using Serverless Framework.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.