Laboratory and Workplace Support Specialist
About the role
Due to our continued expansion of our Abcam team, we’re currently recruiting for this new role in our Fremont location.
Our Lab & Workplace Support Specialists are at the heart of supporting our teams to deliver for our customers, faster. They support the site team by ensuring they have all the equipment, supplies and support needed to be at their most productive, all of the time, and ensuring our lab and office workspaces are safe, clean and well maintained.
This is a great opportunity for a well organised individual who has a growth mindset and is willing to learn new things, getting involved in multiple tasks to ensure the smooth running of the site. It may suit someone looking to take their first steps into the world of laboratory support or an individual who loves variety in their role and is a great multitasker, looking to join a fast growing life sciences company driven by a great purpose.
The role reports to our Lab/Workplace Manager for the site.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Ordering and controlling laboratory supplies, materials and PPE, ensuring sufficient levels are available for the team to use and inventory is well controlled
- Maintain a safe & tidy environment through Cleaning of laboratory equipment including (but not limited to) water baths, incubators and biosafety cabinets
- Running the autoclave and handwashing equipment to ensure it's always ready for use
Assisting with equipment maintenance such as instrument calibration (e.g. pH Meters & balances), fridge & freezer defrost cycles.
- Supporting continuous improvement, identifying quicker, smarter and more productive ways of working
- Using and monitoring temperature (e.g. Hanwelll, Smart Vue) and other equipment monitoring systems
- Support the scientific teams with biological sample & immunogen aliquoting & buffer preparation where required
- Support with shipping and receiving of materials, samples and products (where Logistics are not present on site)
- Ordering, controlling and restocking office supplies (such as food, drink & stationery)
- Completing workplace administration tasks (such as access administration or car parking) and record keeping
- Support with workplace reorganisation projects
- Keeping our people and workplace safe
- Supporting the site and regional Workplace Managers to ensure the site is compliant with EHS legislation and ISO standards.
- Ensuring correct waste disposal of all waste streams including biological and chemical waste
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal EH&S regulations (OSHA, EPA, MA DEP, MA DPH, etc.), as well as Abcam’s Global Safety Standards
- Create an amazing experience for our teams through their workplace
- Ensure our site standards, design principles (e.g. flexible desking) are upheld and we provide clean and safe spaces for our teams to do their best work
- Act as a point of co-ordination and contact for any visiting Abcam colleagues where required
- Assist with the response and resolution of Workplace related issues and queries from the team, liaising with external service providers where required
- Amazing time management and a real multitasker
- An attitude that starts with "yes" but is not afraid to say "no"
- Has a growth mindset, willing to learn new things and draws on expertise to find out the answer
- Great communicator that wins hearts and minds
- Able to keep up with change and ambiguity
- Champion of our Company Culture and behaviours - Agile, Dedicated and Audacious
- Is curious about the business
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.