Lab Support Technician
About the role
Abcam is looking for a motivated, collaborative, individual to join our team in Branford, CT. This candidate will work directly with all teams to support experiments and maintain general lab tasks. This position is responsible for accurate, timely, and effective provision of laboratory support mechanisms.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Prepare media, plates, and laboratory reagents
- Keep appropriate stocks of all common media, reagents and lab supplies
- Autoclave/sterilize liquid materials and biological waste; clean and sterilize laboratory glassware
- Receive packages as needed
- Edit SOPs as processes are changed and write new SOPs for any new processes
- General housekeeping, inventory management, and organization of media preparation and receiving areas
- Communicate with team members and vendors regarding inventory and supply needs
- Participate in meetings and trainings
- Follow well-defined procedures as outlined by Best Practices, SOPs & Work Instructions
- Adhere to safety, environmental, and infection control practices and procedures
- Provide any other services as needed by the facility for general operations
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Requires moderate physical work; there may be lifting, pushing, or pulling r of objects up to 50 pounds
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following outlined safety precautions
- Work may involve moderate exposure to physical elements, such as dust, fumes, and/or loud noises
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in a life science, biology, chemistry, or related field
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures
- Ability to keep a well-organized lab notebook
- Familiarity with concepts, practices, safety protocols, and standard laboratory procedures
- Team-oriented individual, with excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to problem-solve, manage time, and skilfully juggle priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Experience working in a lab environment
- Knowledge of specified laboratory solutions, materials and/or media
- Knowledge of cleaning/sterilization procedures and specifications of specified laboratory equipment and/or facilities
- Proficiency in the use of various lab equipment and techniques utilized in Media Preparation
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.