IT Procurement Category Manager
Abcam is a global life sciences company providing highly validated antibodies and other binders and assays to the research and clinical communities to help advance the understanding of biology and causes of disease.
Our mission is to serve life scientists to help them achieve their mission faster by listening to their needs, continuously innovating, and improving and by giving them the tools, data and experience they want. Our ambition is to become the most influential life science company for researchers worldwide.
About the role
*internal this role is called Digital Category Manager (Procurement)
Lead the Global Digital Procurement Category utilizing broad knowledge of sourcing to develop and execute sourcing strategies with IT Suppliers that support the Global Supply and Manufacturing objectives - building and maintaining reliable and high-quality supply strategies at the best possible cost. Establish the approach to maximise value, as Abcam grows, while maintaining supplier relationships. Responsible to work directly with key business stakeholders globally, up to and including the CIO – to understand strategic initiatives required to support business objectives in the Digital Category, as well as opportunities for supply network consolidation and managing business risk. There is a need to understand market trends and work to identify areas of improvement to drive additional value for the organisation, while meeting the business requirements.
You will use your relationship management, operations optimization, continuous improvement, contract design & oversight skills to deliver best total cost, pushing the implementation of best practice in the procurement of external manufacturing.
The role will report jointly into the Global Procurement Director and the VP of Digital/IT Enterprise. There will be no direct reports, but the position is expected to engage closely with other functions within the Procurement Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead Digital/IT category.
- Globally accountable for a cost-efficient sourcing models (including planning, defining business needs, assessing supply market, defining strategy, execution, supplier selection and contracting), for all requirements and locations in scope.
- Partner with the relevant internal and external stakeholders to develop a short and long term best in class sourcing strategy for the category, ensuring to understand and incorporate market trends, dynamics and requirements are ‘fit for purpose’. Work cross-functionally to discuss and resolve ongoing supplier-related issues.
- Create Category management tools and techniques that address cost, value added opportunities, business continuity, quality, and supply.
- Negotiate contractual terms with suppliers of the category to achieve quality, supply, service, and cost targets.
- Create SRM models that address the business needs above and beyond price. Developing strategic suppliers and long-term gains that address the ongoing challenges of the business and supplier base.
- In addition to delivering against cost savings targets. Adopt a total cost of ownership mindset to drive new ways of working with the business and suppliers that add value
- Contribute and adhere to procurement policies and procedures to improve the compliance agenda and drive best practices.
- Apply risk management techniques to ensure appropriate measures are taken to mitigate against financial, reputational, legal, business continuity and performance risk exposure. Escalate as required to maintain value to Abcam.
Degree ideally in Business, or Supply Chain Management.
Holder of CIPS accreditation, working towards, or willingness to enrol and complete within two years.
Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in IT procurement or supply chain management; experience in biotechnology / pharmaceutical / life sciences is preferred although not essential.
In addition, you will have dealt with outsourcing agreements and have experience in managing these relationships from a commercial and contractual perspective.
Strong and recent knowledge across the Digital procurement category; including software, hosting, hardware, professional services, and consultancy is required Particular focus will be on the experience of dealing with market leading IT organizations.
Proven track record in creating and executing Category Management strategies.
Ability to lead negotiations and deliver cost savings.
Previous experience leading contract negotiations that delivery commercial terms that will minimize /reduce risk exposure to the business.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong Influencing skills to manage stakeholders and suppliers.
- Translate business needs into tangible procurement strategies and value.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Results driven whilst not losing sight of the business needs.
- Passion to learn and grow within a procurement organization.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication and presentation skills.
- Agile with an ability to advocate change and improve ways of working.
Ability to influence across business and departments – at all levels of both suppliers and abcam.
- Excellent people skills, project management skills, good business acumen
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998,?Abcam plc?(www.abcamplc.com)?began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.??
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this?outcome,?the company?both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe,?and?sources?from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.?
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.