Industrial Placement Student - Lab Based 2020/21
About the role
Abcam, a leading and innovative biotech company, are currently offering an exciting opportunity for two 12-month Industrial Placement student positions. This will be within our Product Development and Manufacture facility in Cambridge, UK.
This will be the ideal opportunity for you to develop the skills you have learnt at University in a practical environment, increase your knowledge of biological techniques, and gain an understanding of some of the industrial aspects of the Life Sciences.
Roles and responsibilities:
In this laboratory-based role you will be supported by experienced professionals with backgrounds in the production and characterisation of research reagents. You will have a series of rotations through different groups in the organisation which might include:
- Cell culture and purification of hybridoma cell lines; working as part of a team to hit production targets and actively suggesting improvements to the process and contributing ideas where appropriate.
- Conducting antibody characterisation procedures, such as Western Blot, accurately and following Standard Operating Procedures. This will involve specimen preparation, ordering and making up reagents, and any other tasks that are deemed necessary in order to facilitate the smooth operation of the Characterisation Lab.
- Performing purification and conjugation of antibodies. Using affinity column chromatography to produce purified antibody products in the required quantity and to the product specification. Ensuring the resultant purified antibodies are documented and passed on for characterisation.
You will be an undergraduate studying towards a BSc (or similar academic qualification) in a related field. You must be on a sandwich degree and be taking the industrial placement as a recognised sandwich year. If your course is not an official Sandwich course, you must ensure that you are able to take a year out from University to complete the 12-month placement.
You will also need good problem solving and communication skills, be organised, enthusiastic and a good team player.
- Interviews at Abcam Cambridge – commencing throughout January and February
- Start Date – Around the 1st July 2020
In your cover letter please make sure that you answer the following question: "Why do you want to apply for this specific placement?"
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.