Head of Protein Sciences
Job Title: Head of Protein Sciences
Location: Cambridge, UK
About the role
Reporting to the Director of Protein Development, the Head of Protein Sciences will lead a team of 8-10 scientists based in Cambridge, UK, whose goal is to express, purify and characterize high quality recombinant proteins for use as both antigens in Abcam’s discovery pipelines and for sale commercially as standalone products.
While this role is based in Cambridge, UK, it will involve daily interaction around the Abcam global network, including the US and China. It would also involve 10% travel. The ability to effectively communicate and influence within the global organization is critical for this role. The individual is also responsible for providing management, coaching and technical guidance for junior staff.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Management of a team of scientists focused on recombinant protein design, expression, purification and characterization.
- Must have hands-on experience with small scale to gram level expression and purification of recombinant proteins and antibodies.
- Experience in protein production using multiple expression systems, as well as methods of recombinant protein production (transient, stable cell lines).
- Contribute to the immunogen design and screening platforms to facilitate and support antibody discovery efforts within Abcam.
- Proficiency in molecular biology techniques (cloning, protein domain expression, mutagenesis) required for successful recombinant production.
- Participate in troubleshooting various expression and purification techniques used for secreted and intracellular protein expression.
- Competent in bioanalytical characterization of proteins using standard analyses methods (LCMS, HPLC).
- Successfully works within cross-functional groups across the Abcam network to meet promised deliverables.
You have an established track record of performing similar roles, with significant protein production experience in an industrial environment.
- A MS Degree in Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, or Immunology with 8-10 years of industrial experience.
- A PhD in one of the above fields with 5 years of industrial experience.
- Industrial experience in delivering multiple protein expression projects with tight deadlines.
- A demonstrable track record of delivering and collaborating on successful innovation projects and products.
- Previous experience leading a large team of scientists at various levels, from BS to PhD levels.
- Motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong problem-solving capabilities and positive attitude.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
We are incredibly proud to be recognised as the ‘3rd Best Place to Work in the UK in 2021’, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award. Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.