Group Financial Accountant
As a global leader in the sale of research antibodies, Abcam is committed to serving life science researchers to achieve their mission, faster. We continue to identify the biological pathways of greatest interest to our consumers and continuously strive to provide products of the highest quality with increased specificity, reproducibility and sensitivity. At the same time, through investment and acquisition, we are expanding into new markets, identifying new technologies and applications while moving into new geographic regions, thereby driving sustainable growth.
Abcam was founded in 1998 and has been listed on AIM since 2005. Market capitalisation is around £3bn and revenues for the last financial year ended 30 June 2020 were £260m.
The business continues to be strongly cash generative, and is putting that cash to work in both capital projects, to ensure the future scalability of the business, as well as investing further in the continued development of products and services. Strategic goals include expansion in growth markets and investing in operating capabilities to grow the business to £450 - £500m by 2023/24.
About the role
The Group Financial Accountant role is part of a team four who are responsible for the monthly consolidation of the Group’s results for management reporting purposes and also the Group’s consolidation and external reporting and technical accounting.
The Group has a secondary listing on Nasdaq and as a result the reporting obligations also include disclosures which are included in the required US filings.
Role & Responsibilities
- Support the Consolidation Manager in delivering the monthly group close process, ensuring timely subsidiary submissions and proactive post-month end follow-up of close issues, targeting continuous improvement.
- Ownership of the group cash flow forecasting model
- Production of financial information, including disclosures, to fulfil the Group’s UK statutory reporting requirements under IFRS and US filing requirements
- Develop and maintain financial information pack for the group’s investor relations team
- Support with banking covenant reporting in relation to the group’s revolving credit facility
- Assisting the Group Consolidation Manager in investigation of technical accounting queries, including producing first draft accounting papers, and providing guidance to entity accountants in interpretation of group accounting policies as required.
- Contributing to the maintenance of the Abcam Group Accounting Policy manual and updating for evolving Group practice and application of accounting standards
- Ad hoc financial projects as required including input and research into technical accounting matters.
- Recently qualified accountant ACA / ACCA / CIMA with financial reporting accounting focus and background ideally with listed organisations.
- Comfortable with technical accounting such as complex consolidations and modelling as well as familiarity with accounting standard requirements
- Sound understanding of IFRS
- Knowledge of accounting best practices.
- Diligent, inquisitive with sound analytical skills, but maintaining attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Time management skills, demonstrating thoroughness and reliability.
- Embracer of change.
- Experience of Oracle
- Awareness or exposure to US reporting advantageous
- Ability to apply sound judgement to accounting situations / questions
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.