Global Footprint & Workplace Programme Manager
Job Title: Global Workplace Programme Manager
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Our Workplace (Facilities) team are at the heart of supporting our teams to deliver for our customers, faster, and are responsible for an ambitious workplace expansion programme that has seen our overall space increase by 38% this year alone. But we’re still not finished – not only do we have continued plans for site expansion and consolidation across EMEA, APAC and the USA over the next year, but we’re already working on what’s needed to ensure we can continue to scale through to 2030 and beyond.
With this ambition comes complexity and this is where the role comes in – working with the VP Workplace & Infrastructure, Regional Workplace teams and stakeholders across the whole business to define and deliver our footprint strategy, as well as lead on other Workplace programmes to improve our Workplace operation.
This is a great opportunity for a well-organized programme manager, who is great at building relationships across the business and understands the importance of continuously improving the employee experience at work through the physical workplace. It’s a role which makes a visible impact in delivering Abcam’s strategy and is key to supporting our growth and expansion into new areas.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Partner with leaders across Abcam to understand and forecast future footprint needs, working with specialist teams to consider financial analysis, labour market trends, distribution and shipping strategies, local location strategy and macro-economic conditions.
- Propose recommendations for future changes to our Workplace Footprint, seeking agreement from the Executive Leadership Team & then turning this into a multi year programme for delivery.
- Develops and maintain the resulting footprint programme plan, keeping all sponsors and stakeholders up to date on programme progress.
- Be a ‘connector’ across the business – you don’t need to know all the technical answers but will lead the global cross-functional programme teams, ensuring successful execution on time and on budget, ensuring everything is well managed (e.g. appropriate governance is in place, required documentation is produced, business cases supports the business plan, and budgets are effectively monitored)
- Communicate changes in timelines and work to resolve issues to get projects back on track, skillfully managing and influencing all levels, managing risks (threats and opportunities) and issues across the programme
- As a member of the Global Workplace team, contribute your insight and ideas to the development of the future strategy and 12 month operating plan.
- Lead on a variety of workplace improvement projects aimed at improving employee experience, maximizing our investment and reducing risk. Examples include a deployment of a digital facilities help hub; leading Business Continuity Planning efforts and looking at ways to better control our assets and infrastructure.
What Skills will you need?
- Experience working in a programme management role within a matrix organisation.
- Background in project management with specific experience in financial analysis (ie: capital budgeting, financial modelling, tax) labour market analysis, inventory control and commercial property is helpful, but not essential
- Demonstratable working knowledge of at least one project delivery methodology, e.g. Waterfall or PRINCE 2 is also required.
- An understanding of working in a laboratory environment would be advantageous, although not essential.
- You’ll have an attitude that starts with "yes" but is not afraid to say "no"
- Champion of our Company Culture and behaviors - Agile, Dedicated and Audacious
- Relationships are often better built in person, and therefore some occasional travel will be required, when COVID restrictions allow.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
What we offer
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
We are incredibly proud to be recognised as the ‘3rd Best Place to Work in the UK in 2021’, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award. Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.