Director of Manufacturing
Summary of Role:
Abcam has ambitious plans to grow both organically and by selected acquisitions and partnerships, with a view to doubling their scale by 2023.
As a result, a new leadership role has arisen for a Director of Manufacturing. The Director of Manufacturing will lead the Hangzhou team to deliver high specification products, reduce batch variance and waste reduction, reduce QC rework, meet and maintain ISO13485 standards, automate production and QC processes with high throughput capability, and build solid Lean production processes.
- Ensure the supply of antibodies with consistent high quality to customers, faster and support one-stop global supply chain completion.
- Leads strategy planning, goal-setting, and tracking of agreed projects and actions
- Leads departmental yearly and quarterly team labor and raw material budgeting process
- Leads recombinant full antibody development, production, purification, formulation, and QC processes to achieve automation.
- Leads internal or external technical transfer and manufacturing process continuous improvement, and highly involved with design control process with NPD team.
- Responsible for team talents and organizational development to high performance team.
- Responsible for site Lean Six-Sigma activities and champions site continuous improvement
- Approves and oversees the implementation process, as well as ensuring work is completed in the required time frame and budget requirements
- Works with global manufacturing VP and cross-site teams to implement manufacturing global strategy in China.
- Leads the implementation of new initiatives from M&SC senior leadership team
- Leads the department to achieve the agreed yearly goals on time with quality.
- Leads Manufacturing ERP system design and implementation successful in China.
- Strong employee management and influencing skills
- Strong antibody manufacturing knowledge
- Strong communications skills with senior leadership and cross-sites
- Strong bias for action and a “solution orientated” attitude
- Accountable and responsible, strong driving and influential ability.
- Fluent written and spoken English and local business language (e.g. Chinese), where relevant
- Able to work both on a team (as member and/or leader) and independently to deliver results, always be diligent and intelligent work style.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities
- Experience identifying, diagnosing, and resolving issues independently; will take initiative even under unfamiliar or ambiguous circumstances
- Anticipates need to re-prioritize; can shift gears and comfortably makes decisions based on new information
- Demonstrated ability to manage performance and build a high performing team
- Good business understanding and financial impact and ability to course correct
- Experience & Competencies
- 10+ years of biological manufacturing and technology / Engineering
- 8+ years of managerial experience
- Antibody manufacturing experience strongly preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Fluent in English for written and verbal communication
- Desirable/Required Qualifications
- Masters in Engineering with extensive experience
- 4+ years of project/program management experience
- MBA preferred
- 10% travel possible
- Minimal master degree in life sciences required or bachelor degree with extensive experiences. PhD or PostDoc Preferred. Education abroad a plus. More than 10 years life sciences experience