Director, Data Science
Title: Director of Data Science (Abcam Digital)
Location: Cambridge, UK
About the role
Abcam are a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, with a global reputation for high performance products with detailed technical specifications. As we continue our rapid growth and success, we now have a need for a new permanent role within our Digital function, heading up the Data Science team.
Abcam has been building its Data Science capability over the last 4 years and we have a small, experienced team who have developed a number of key algorithms deployed across the business. We are now looking for a Director of Data Science to help scale our Data Science capability further by providing the existing team with mentorship and further competency development, as well as growing the team, globally.
The role will be responsible for an innovation agenda, technical thought leadership capability and vision for the next evolution of AI/ML data products at Abcam.
As the Director of Data Science, you will possess extensive experience of productionising machine learning and analysis on at least one cloud-based computer platform.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to shape the further development of a Data Science group and technical centre of excellence across the business whose input will define the data science strategy to support scientists across the world to achieve their research missions, faster!
Roles and responsibilities:
- Oversee and manage a Data Science group and use understanding of the commercial markets, business processes, products and competitors to support growth of the organisation.
- Oversee the data science team’s training and competency development, determining best practices and work standards
- Initiate data science programs across the team to improve departmental performance and focus on revenue growth and achievement of the business’ overall targets and objectives
- Guide the team in the development of new insights, advanced modelling techniques, and data science capabilities
- Personally, work on challenging fundamental data science issues where necessary, realising, and developing solutions
- Be a thought leader at Abcam - predict future areas of innovation and show how it can be applied to Abcam
- Apply emerging theory to practical situations across Abcam and the industry;
- Advise on the application of standards and methods and ensure compliance
- Take technical responsibility for all stages and/or iterations in a development project, providing method specific technical advice and guidance to project stakeholders.
- Understand, teach and supervise a wide range of data science techniques
- Help Abcam grow cutting-edge and innovative Data Science capabilities
Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Economics, or any other related quantitative field. Significant experience working in academia or industry leading and developing a data science team.
You will also have extensive experience solving analytical issues through quantitative approaches and machine learning methods as well as vast experience using advanced statistical methods, data mining techniques, and information retrieval. A suitable candidate will show comfort evaluating and manipulating large, complex, high-dimensional data from numerous sources.
You will be proficient in one or more scripting languages, for example, Python or R.
You will be capable of using SQL to query databases and will also be highly familiar with modern machine learning techniques.
Our customers are at the centre of what we do at Abcam and as a result you must have the customer in mind in everything you do.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full pay maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave. A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment. What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.