Director, Cell Line Platform
Head of Cell Line Development
About the role
As Abcam continues its rapid growth and success we have identified a need for a Director of edited cell line development in our Research & Development team, reporting to our Vice president of Research and innovation.
The Director of edited cell line development is responsible for leading a team focused on the development gene edited cell lines for catalogue, custom solutions as well as internal needs, such as antibody validation This includes a constant improvement of processes to guarantee a state-of-the-art science.
Managing a portfolio of cell lines and designing the appropriate development processes, the role holder will be responsible for a timely delivery, the appropriate quality to fulfill the agreed KPI’s for commercial cell lines and KO validation. Communicating and collaborating with business partners in other areas and in other functions across the organization.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Manage high-performing teams of Scientists & Research Associates, with a focus on:
- Cell editing design, development, quality control and salability.
- Eventually, custom cell engineering team including devising strategy of how to deliver global expansion of custom cell line development.
- Interaction with manufacturing team for transition of specs and continuous Op Ex improvements
- Input to strategy for expansion of utility of CRISPR technology
- Using their scientific background to guide the team to establish new products and capabilities in Abcam
- Contribute to the success of R&D through a detailed understanding of the requirements of protein production and antibody generation.
- Work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders across Abcam, you’ll ensure the cell line teams output is fit for purpose and meets the agreed expectations.
- In partnership with the business partners, you’ll monitor multiple cell line development projects, checking milestone completion and ensuring output of the group meets agreed targets.
- Responsible for developing research plans, ensuring projects are completed on time and within budget, and in accordance with the company’s strategic plans and roadmaps
- A BS Degree in cell biology, biochemistry, biology, or other Life Sciences.
- A PhD or equivalent research experience
- The ideal candidate is an accomplished, innovative leader, with demonstrated focus on quality and scale.
- An established track record in a similar role with significant experience in an industrial or academic environment
Desired Qualifications & Qualities:
- Industrial/academic experience in delivering projects to tight deadlines.
- Desired experience on cell editing and manufacturing processes.
- A track record of delivering successful innovation projects and products
- Commercial experience in Biotech industry
- Demonstrated capabilities in recruiting and managing teams of scientists.
- Motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong problem-solving capabilities.
- Collaborative worker, ideally with experience of working with numerous international business partners.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.