Direct Materials Buyer
About the role
Under the supervision of the Global Category Lead, the Buyer manages the day-to-day interaction and sourcing responsibilities across a global supply base as well as other daily tasks as described below within the Direct Materials category.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Create RFQ’s and conduct benchmark analysis to ensure the supply base is competitive
- Conduct and organize supplier meetings and SRM reviews
- Perform due diligence to assess the suitability and sustainability of new suppliers using the preferred Abcam tools and techniques including supplier audits, relevant analysis and contract negotiation
- Support the Quality and Supplier Excellence team on Supplier Audits as required
- Responsible for contract management and negotiation with selected suppliers
- Stakeholder management and engagement
- Contribute to the procurement annual cost saving targets
- Provide day to day procurement support to the Global Sourcing Director and Global Category Lead.
- Support the company-wide quality initiative to reduce complaint rate. This will involve reviewing data with the Quality Team and working with suppliers to identify the root cause of a problem.
- Support the resolution of business continuity issues with the support of Supply Chain
- Ensure that the procurement savings tracker is updated to reflect the most accurate picture related to Direct Material saving
- Working cross functionally with internal teams to resolve queries as quickly as possible
- Support the Management of purchase order, invoice and contract discrepancies relating to the Direct Materials supplier base
- Assist with the day to day procurement operations including the management of Oracle
- Classifying and identifying purchases as indirect or direct materials
- Work with the Accounts team to approve or reject invoices with pricing discrepancies
- Serve as an escalation point with for all internal stakeholders
- Support the maintenance, and use of, the Global Procurement Process - policies, procedures and standards (e.g., supplier documents, SRM, preferred supplier status, internal stakeholder engagement).
- Deputising as interim cover in the Global Category Lead or Category Manager’s absence as required
- This position requires a self-motivated individual with strong communication and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and multi-task in a high-paced environment. Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion is required.
- The candidate must possess strong written, oral and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to work well both in a team and independently when required.
- This is a very hands on role that requires the ability to work at an operational level.
- The position may include some travel
- 2-4 years of experience in a Procurement role, preferably in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical/life sciences industries.
- Evidence of strong supplier relationship activities in terms of performance measurement
- Ability to negotiate supplier purchase contracts as well as commercial terms and service level agreements (essential).
- Strong analytical skills, strong relationship management
- Excellent interpersonal/communication and presentation skills.
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, global, team environment and adapt to change.
- Proficient with computer-based technology (i.e. Microsoft Excel, Word, presentation and Oracle Cloud applications)
- Creative problem-solving abilities with an orientation towards results.
- Adaptability and willingness to embrace and lead change
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998,?Abcam plc?(www.abcamplc.com)?began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.??
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this?outcome,?the company?both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe,?and?sources?from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.?
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.