Digital Product Manager
About the role:
The Digital Product Manager (DPM) is responsible for the development and delivery of a critical part of our digital product landscape, ensuring product quality and alignment with our overall product vision & strategy.
You will be accountable for one or several products (depending on scope and complexity) of strategic value and oversee multi-disciplinary teams organised around that strategy. The DPM role includes full accountability for the value the product(s)delivers in support of Abcam’s vision and mission, leadership of all aspects of its life-cycle from inception to replacement, and responsibility for all aspects of its success.
This role is positioned within Abcam Digital. It has a solid reporting line into the Digital Enterprise Domain within the relevant Function.
- Lead one or more multi-disciplinary teams in the development and delivery of those products.
- Formulate and drive the vision for your product / product area, using business insight and product discovery techniques.
- Lead the analysis, design, implementation, operation and evolution of the Digital Product(s) to ensure the products are managed to the agreed time, costs and quality, and maximum business value is extracted.
- Ensure the Digital Products are fully adopted and manage the business change lifecycle, including communication, awareness and training.
- Use qualitative and quantitative methods to understand and measure areas of opportunity, progress against goals, and the success of Digital Products.
- Manage the demand management, prioritisation, investment case and budget approval process for the Digital Product(s).
- Direct the necessary capabilities and resources to achieve success of the Digital Product(s) through its life-cycle in alignment with the Senior DPM/senior manager – including within the Domain, across Abcam Digital and with external suppliers.
- Build strong relationships and engage frequently with internal and external stakeholders, to build sponsorship, advocate adoption and deliver change.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams within Abcam Digital as well as in other parts of Abcam.
- Evangelise, implement and embed agile methodology in Abcam Digital.
- Provide coaching and support to promote good product practice, promote effective ways of working and the Abcam Digital revolution as a whole.
- Business functions across Abcam
- Counterparts across other Digital Domains/Chapters
- In particular Technology Enablement architecture and engineering
About you - Competencies, Skills, Knowledge:
- Understanding of agile methodologies and practical experience of delivering products using agile approaches. Able to help teams select appropriate practices.
- Understanding of the product lifecycle and capable of defining and adapting the team to deliver at each stage.
- Practical experience of product management tools and techniques, from roadmap, backlog and release planning to prioritisation tools and techniques.
- Experienced in using product discovery techniques and ensuring products are customer-focused, as demonstrated through use and interpretation of customer insight to drive strategic planning.
- A deep knowledge of the relevant Functional Domain (CX, PPI, MSC, HR, Finance, etc.).
- Working knowledge of the Digital marketplace, trends in technology and available applications.
- Knowledge of the Digital Products within the remit of the Domain and proven track record in management Digital Products.
- Strong communication skills with internal and external stakeholders at different levels of seniority.
- Ability to distil and effectively manage information and align strategy of Digital Products to the functional and company goals.
- Effective leadership skills, including leading and organizing resources outside direct line control.
- Able to work both in a team (as member and/or leader) and independently, to deliver results.
- Good attention to detail and an ability to analyse and use data in decision making.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities.
- Experience identifying, diagnosing and resolving issues independently; will take initiative even under unfamiliar or ambiguous circumstances.
- Ability to convey ideas and recommendations in a clear, compelling and succinct way in written and verbal communications.
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Bachelor’s or First degree in Sciences or Humanities
- Relevant experience in Product Management
- Demonstrated experience and success in helping managers align planning and business strategy
- Proven track record of managing a product (s) with tangible outcome