Data Engineer (12 month FTC)
About the role:
Abcam is looking for a Data Engineer (12 month fixed term contract) to join Abcam’s growing Data Engineering team. The Data Engineer will be primarily responsible for maintaining and enhancing our data warehouse and Tableau reporting. The data engineer may also work on other strategic projects such as data migrations and the development of our Big Data platform.
About Data Engineering:
The Data Engineering team is responsible for extracting, transforming, logically organising and storing data, as well as providing Data Warehousing and Big Data capabilities to enable the creation and delivery of Analytics and AI/ML products.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Create, implement and maintain data flows to connect operational systems, data for analytics and business intelligence (BI) systems.
- Build and maintain data sources for data visualisation tools and educate and support business users to self-service their reporting needs.
- Monitor services, assist with issue resolution, conduct root cause analysis and provide an appropriate level of communication to users who may be affected by general issues or outages.
- Write ETL Scripts and code to make sure the ETL process performes optimally.
- Write complex procedures and functions, dynamic and procedural SQL.
- Independently design and update 3NF and Star Schema warehouses.
- Work closely with stakeholders including Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Data Architects, Infrastructure Engineers, Product Managers and Business Analysts.
- Work closely with non-technical business stakeholders and communicate complex technical concepts in a way they can understand.
- Stay abreast of developments in the world of Data Engineering and make recommendations about new technologies and ways of working.
Essential skills: SQL, Data Warehouse, Oracle, ODI, ETL, Git, Tableau
Desirable skills: AWS, Python, Mulesoft, Spark, Kafka
- You have experience in designing and building Data Warehouses and using ETL tools.
- You have preferably worked with Oracle ODI before.
- You are skilled in SQL. Experience of Oracle SQL would be beneficial.
- You can build strong relationships with stakeholders including Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Architects, Infrastructure Engineers, Product Managers and Business Analysts.
- You are a team player who supports other team members as necessary to ensure success.
- You are experienced in using Git and CI/CD tools for version control and code releases.
- You have experience in performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience implementing Big Data solutions using one or more major cloud platform (AWS, GCP, Azure) would be beneficial, but is not essential.
- Some background in life science would be beneficial, but is not essential.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!