Commercial Strategy Manager for Metabolism & Cardiology
Job Title: Commercial Strategy Manager, Metabolism and Cardiology.
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reports to: VP, Research Area Strategy
About the Role:
The Commercial Strategy Manager for Metabolism and Cardiology at Abcam is a key commercial analytics and product management role, responsible for utilising complex insights to make recommendations on the commercialisation strategy to be implemented for the Metabolism and Cardiology product portfolio to serve customer needs both now and in the future.
The role sits within the Marketing department at Abcam, and is part of a team of 15 within the Research Area Strategy team, headed up by the VP of Research Area Strategy. The role is responsible for making recommendations on the short and long-term development of the Metabolism and Cardiology product portfolio and communications on this portfolio with customers, including supporting the Sales and Business Development teams.
You will use your analytical skills to drive understanding of the strengths and opportunities within the existing Metabolism and Cardiology portfolio, understanding the market both now and its likely future direction along with the needs of Abcam’s full customer base, as well as understanding and fully utilising inhouse product development capabilities, collaborating with the New Product Development and R&D teams to identify opportunities to expand on these capabilities, and with the Commercial and Business Development teams to input into the development of broad consumer partnerships.
About the Research Area Management Team:
We are a highly committed, enthusiastic and ambitious team, focused on collaborative working, innovation and strategic thinking who thrive on the challenge of achieving stretching goals. The team operates in a fast-paced environment where they take a solution first approach to problem solving and are very results focused, with a strong sense of accountability for achieving their goals. What’s more, they have a strong sense of fun and energy.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Through continuous big data analysis, use of business acumen and market intelligence, make recommendations on the definition and tactics for execution of the commercial strategy to deliver a step change in revenue growth of the Metabolism and Cardiology product portfolio and achieve annual revenue and margin targets.
- Make recommendations on the long-range development of Abcam's portfolio of products across all categories in Metabolism and Cardiology research and provide input into the development of the inhouse R&D pipeline of new product types and platforms.
- Take a multi research area approach to strategy development in the Metabolism and Cardiology portfolio, capitalising on overlap and synergies between different research areas to maximise return on investment for all research areas.
- Using robust financial modelling, size markets for the Metabolism and Cardiology research area and value potential new initiatives to make recommendations on the future direction of the strategy.
- Make recommendations on key product lines and customers to target to develop deep relationships that enhance Abcam's global reputation as a leading partner in the Metabolism and Cardiology research.
- Design and develop dashboards to track the progress of the Metabolism and Cardiology strategy against key milestones.
- Be the subject matter expert in the collation of multiple data points, including internal and external sources, in the Metabolism and Cardiology research area.
- Provide input into the development of new pricing initiatives for the Metabolism and Cardiology portfolio.
- Provide input into the development of Metabolism and Cardiology related product datasheets and protocols.
- Provide input into the quality criteria required for Metabolism and Cardiology products.
- Make recommendations to the Manufacturing and Supply Chain teams on product stocking levels required for each product in the Metabolism and Cardiology portfolio in order to successfully delivery the Metabolism and Cardiology strategy.
- Provide input on in-bound and out-bound collaboration opportunities for follow up by the Business Development and Custom Product & Licensing teams.
- Make recommendations on candidates to build Abcam's external network of scientific advisors in the Metabolism and Cardiology field. Input into the development of relationships with these advisors.
- Inspire and proactively engage key stakeholders across the business in the Metabolism and Cardiology strategy.
- Represent the voice of the global Metabolism and Cardiology consumer across the business.
- Interpret and communicate insights reports in an appropriate format to enable rapid actions to be taken by the global business teams.
- Develop highly collaborative relationships across all global departments and provide input into new commercial opportunities to deliver the Metabolism and Cardiology strategy.
- MSc/MS/MRes in biological sciences or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years product management or consultancy experience in the life sciences/biotech/pharma or diagnostics industry.
- Experience of driving the development and execution of commercial strategies or business cases to deliver a step change in revenue growth for the product ranges you have managed.
- Proven ability to establish strong working relationships internally and externally.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to communicate and present findings and recommendations effectively will be key to this role.
- PhD in biological sciences or related discipline would be ideal.
- Demonstrable experience in sales and marketing would be an advantage.
- Experience within the metabolism and Cardiology research field and in approaches to antibody development and antibody applications would be a bonus.
- Experience managing projects with cross-functional teams across the business would be helpful.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs. It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences. Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.