Direct Materials Buyer
Job Title: Direct Materials Buyer
Location: Waltham, MA
About the role
Due to continued growth across the globe, we are now seeking an experienced Buyer to join the team in our Waltham, MA site to focus on the procurement of our Direct Materials category. It will have responsibility for this category across all our US sites and be a key member of the procurement team globally.
Reporting directly to the Global Category Lead, the Direct Materials Buyer manages the day-to-day interaction and sourcing responsibilities across a global supply base as well as contributing to the overall strategic approach across the US and UK.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Create RFQ’s and conduct benchmark analysis to ensure the supply base is competitive
- Conduct and organize supplier meetings and SRM reviews
- Perform due diligence to assess the suitability and sustainability of new suppliers using the preferred Abcam tools and techniques including supplier audits, relevant analysis and contract negotiation
- Responsible for contract management and negotiation with selected suppliers
- Stakeholder management and engagement
- Contribute to the procurement annual cost saving targets
- Support the company-wide quality initiative to reduce complaint rate. This will involve reviewing data with the Quality Team and working with suppliers to identify the root cause of a problem.
- Support the resolution of business continuity issues with the support of Supply Chain
- Working cross functionally with internal teams
- Support the maintenance, and use of, the Global Procurement Process - policies, procedures and standards (e.g., supplier documents, SRM, preferred supplier status, internal stakeholder engagement).
You will be an experienced procurement professional, self-motivated with strong communication and organizational skills. Your skills will have been developed for at least 2 years in a buying/procurement or purchasing role, preferably in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical/life sciences industries but with a passion for delivering amazing service to your stakeholders and real value to the business.
You will have the ability to prioritize and multi-task in a high-paced environment with strong written, oral and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to work well both in a team and independently when required. Using your strong analytical and relationship management ability, you will be able to negotiate supplier purchase contracts as well as commercial terms and service level agreements. You will be a great communicator, adept with using Excel and ideally, Oracle Cloud applications with strong presentation skills.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998,?Abcam plc?(www.abcamplc.com)?began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.??
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this?outcome,?the company?both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe,?and?sources?from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.? ?
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.