Reporting and Liaison:
This position reports to the Technical Director.
In addition, the position may require liaison with production/Quality Control Staff and other TGR Senior Managers.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The position requires a person with a Bachelor of Science or Biotechnology with Honors or significant experience in a biological laboratory. A background in cell biology, protein chemistry or a related field would be desirable. The person should be capable of carrying out, with limited supervision, most or all of the Specific duties shown below.
The person must be willing to work with human and animal cell lines.
The person must be willing to work in a team environment and to adapt to varying work demands.
- Maintain cell biology facilities, including the generation and maintenance of human and animal tissue culture cell lines and production of cell lysates.
- Preparation of media and other solutions for biological experiments.
- Under general supervision, perform cell biology experiments and biochemical experiments, including gel electrophoresis, blotting, enzyme assays, ELISA and EIA procedures, and cell growth assays as well as apply immunohistochemical and microscopic techniques.
- Perform assays utilizing High Throughput Screening (HTS) equipment, assist in development of HTS assays, and assist with protein purification tasks.
- Some preparation of Assay Kit buffers and quality control testing of these buffers using immunological assays will also be required.
- Some quality control of Assay Kit buffers using immunological assays.
- Antibody purification using FPLC.
- Antibody conjugation.
- Reagent buffer maintenance/disposal as specified by production and QC staff.
- Detailed documentation of preparation and quality control tasks in accordance with GLP.
- General laboratory maintenance (eg: Pipette calibrations, stocking of consumables).
- Procedure / SOP writing.
- Perform tasks in accordance with TGR’s WH&S Policy.
- Participate in regular WH&S educational activities.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Other duties as required by Supervisors and/or Senior Management.
Core Competencies (Qualifications, Skills, Attributes):
- Post-secondary qualifications in a relevant field in Science or Biotechnology.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to priorities work.
- Ability to perform tasks at short notice and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work both under supervision and independently.
- Sound understanding of Microsoft Excel.
- Tissue Culture experience.
- Experience in the completion of Immunological Assays (eg: ELISA).
- FPLC or other liquid chromatography experience.