Associate Scientist (Temporary Contract)
About Burlingame Manufacturing Site
This is a temporary job, six to 12 months
BUR is the primary site for manufacture of recombinant antibodies to support Abcam’s in vitro diagnostic business. New additions to the IVD portfolio are also qualified at this site, in association with our new product discovery site, based in Hangzhou, China and integrated with our product portfolio and innovation team, headquartered in the UK. The IVD portfolio and order management is supported by our supply chain, planning and logistics departments, with customer service support from our customer experience teams, sales team and business development functions. This is a regulated business, operating under MDSAP/ISO13485(2016) standard.
The business will also be undertaking implementation of an ERP system, with integration of warehouse management, planning and order management capabilities. The present role has arisen to provide relief for the existing scientific team to support the testing and implementation of the ERP system.
About the role
You will join a cross-functional team delivering recombinant antibodies for use in immunohistochemistry applications and manufactured under MDSA/ISO13485 (2016) quality standard. These antibodies are developed and supplied to our customers for use in critical care, serving as diagnostic reagents in pathology settings. The role is based in Burlingame, California and part of the In Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) team, reporting to the Principal Scientist of IVD.
The focus of this role will be to contribute to the development and validation of qualified reagents and IVD immunohistochemistry products.
- Design and perform experiments for new products for use in immunohistochemistry
- Test and validate IHC products lines for IVD market under design control guidelines
- Review and interpret staining results and generate IHC reports to meet timelines for Custom and Portfolio Products
- Work with scientific staff to analyze and troubleshoot technical issues in relation to protocol development and quality
- Write standard operating procedures (SOPs) and other documents under FDA QSR and MDSAP/ISO13485 guidelines
- Support the quality control of IVD products (slide preparation, slide review, stability testing, QA documentation), operating in a cross-matrixed team, focused on delivering on-time manufacture of products to exceed customer and quality needs
- Work with scientific, quality and project management teams, as required to provide technical support for internal work and customer projects
- Assist in goal setting and monitoring of progress
- Communicate detailed information both verbally and in technical reports and laboratory notebooks
- Role model a safe working environment, adhering to Abcam’s SOP, H & S standards and Operational Excellence policies
- You will have a BS or MS degree in cell and molecular biology, immunology, pathology, biochemistry, immunology or other Life Science with some relevant experience
- You will be well versed in IHC techniques and staining interpretation with experience in developing immunoassays using flow cytometry (FACS), enzyme-linked immunoassay (ELISA), Octet or other advanced immune-assays being advantageous
- Possessing strong self-motivation, you will be able to demonstrate experience of working with a strong attention to detail whilst handling multiple tasks following defined timelines
- An ability to establish strong working relationships with colleagues and with external collaborators and customers will be second nature
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are a pre-requisite for this position, and you will be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and have an ability to maintain accurate and detailed records
- You must be able to research and assimilate scientific information and use this to guide your work
- It will be beneficial if you have experience in product development processes such as IVD product design control and manufacturing
- Working experience in an industry setting is advantageous
- As this role is to support the implementation of ERP system, knowledge of such systems may be beneficial
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.