Associate Scientist, Purification
Abcam is looking for a Scientist to join our team in Waltham, MA, working to purify and analyze high quality recombinant proteins for development as standalone products at Abcam. The goal of this product line is to deliver outstanding products to our customers and help Abcam achieve our aim of being the most influential company in life sciences by helping advance global understanding of biology and causes of disease, which, in turn, will drive new treatments and improved health.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Purification of proteins using automated (FPLC) equipment using various chromatography methods, including affinity, charge and size-based separations.
- Experience in purification of proteins with and without tags.
- Analysis of proteins utilizing common techniques, such as endotoxin, SDS-PAGE, HPLC-SEC and Mass Spec.
- Independently design, plan and conduct laboratory experiments in support of new product development.
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required.
- Communicate clearly with team members within the Protein Sciences Group, providing delivery dates and the necessary documentation as well as clearly presented data to support ongoing and completed work.
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analyzing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Support and foster a safe and efficient working environment within the Laboratory and ensure the safety of colleagues and visitors and adhere to all health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the facility is compliant with all internal and external quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015).
- Routine maintenance and troubleshooting of scientific equipment.
You have a proven track-record in industry, thriving in a fast-paced environment. You have demonstrated experience in protein purification and delivery of proteins meeting purity specifications.
The successful candidate will have a Master’s degree with 0-3 year of experience or a Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of experience in biochemistry, bioengineering, biochemistry or biology.
- Industrial experience in protein purification, generating proteins for multiple projects at a time.
- Experience with lyophilization a plus.
- Established track record of thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Motivated, positive and enthusiastic team player with strong problem-solving capabilities.
- Hard-working and motivated to deliver the highest quality proteins.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.