Associate Scientist - Custom Solutions
The successful candidate will be working in a specialised team dedicated to the isolation, characterisation and manufacture of custom-made antibodies for external customers. The role is predominantly lab-based with the successful candidate playing a key role in co-ordinating and delivering project activities within the RabMAb antibody generation process, as well as providing a key level of support for more junior members of the team; this will include line management responsibilities.
- Provide guidance to other team members to allow project objectives to be met and support development opportunities and training of junior staff
- Where appropriate, act as a “lead scientist” for projects, having oversight of all aspects of the day-to-day technical delivery of the project as well as contributing to project strategy, trouble-shooting and problem-solving.
- Mentor junior staff as well as support their training and development to become “lead scientist”
- Take responsibility for designing, planning, breaking project work down to achievable process steps, maintaining schedules and enabling autonomous working of junior staff to deliver project aims in the expected timescales
- Use technical knowledge to input to project design as well as process optimalization and improvement efforts, highlighting and documenting processes and working with team leadership to identify opportunities for execution
- Perform both molecular and assay work within the laboratory & document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Work closely with project managers and project stakeholders to relay project progress and delivery dates for key reagents and contribute to the preparation of customer reports and recommendations. Present data and contribute to strategy in project meetings, demonstrating accountability for data.
- Role model working in a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors, and support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards, including ISO9001 (2015).
We are looking for a talented and motivated scientist, with a background in working in molecular biology (cDNA synthesis/PCR and DNA cloning/synthesis/protein productions) and immunoassay techniques (such as ELISA/HTRF/Octet, Western blot and Flow cytometry). Relevant experience generating and working with recombinant antibodies for reagent or therapeutic use would be highly desirable. A good understanding of principles, literature and methods in the relevant field is required.
From a leadership perspective, our ideal candidate will be a team player, highly self-motivated, pro-active, agile, collaborative, hardworking, with excellent organisational and communication capabilities and the ability to deliver results consistently to a high-standard in a fast-paced environment. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about science and wants to be involved not only in delivering challenging projects, but also helping and motivating others in their development, to be able to do the same.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
We are incredibly proud to be recognised as the ‘3rd Best Place to Work in the UK in 2021’, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award. Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.