Department: Research and Innovation
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
About the role:
The Research and Innovation department at Abcam is vital to sustaining Abcam’s innovation and their mission to help researcher’s get their results faster. We are seeking an Associate Scientist to support the Emerging Technologies team, in the department of Research and Innovation, in our Cambridge headquarters. This is an exciting multi-disciplinary team who work together to develop new research tools for use by life scientists worldwide.
Our team values the pioneer spirit. We evaluate new opportunities and technologies, working on short to medium term projects, to rapidly demonstrate potential. While the ideal candidate will have experience in molecular biology (such as cell culture, recombinant protein production, assay development and analytical techniques), we are particularly looking for an individual with a passion for designing and developing new technologies.
Roles & responsibilities:
Reporting to the Principal Scientist, the candidate will:
- Plan, execute and critically analyse experiments (design-build-test-learn cycle)
- Provide suggestions for next steps considering the strategy
- Troubleshoot, evaluating related literature and suggesting/engaging experts where required
- Communicate results and suggest short-term timelines and likely risks to the team
- Advocate for the installation of new technologies by sharing information with stakeholders, writing standard operating procedures and training colleagues
- Maintain excellent laboratory records
- BSc in Biology/Biochemistry and 3+ years experience in an industry setting, or a PhD
- Experience in molecular biology/synthetic biology/biotechnology, or similar
- Critical thinking skills and quantitative data analysis
- Communication skills, to effectively present new ideas to a varied audience
- Organisational skills with the ability to prioritise, multitask and meet deadlines
- Keep pace with a fast moving, agile team
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
We are incredibly proud to be recognised as the ‘3rd Best Place to Work in the UK in 2021’, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award. Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.