Associate Scientist (12-month FTC)
Associate Scientist Intern
About the role
Due to Maternity Leave, we have an opportunity as an Associate Scientist at Abcam on a 12 month fixed term contract. You will be involved in ensuring that our antibodies and gene edited cell lines meet our high-quality standards and take an active part in the planning and coordination of the validation of our genetically edited cell lines and our best-in-class antibodies.
This post involves working closely with other members of the quality control teams across the globe. The ideal candidate will have research experience in the life sciences, be self-motivated, experienced in managing multiple tasks and working to deadlines.
Significant experience with antibody-based techniques and a capacity to interpret complex scientific data is essential. Being proactive in resolving problems and improving processes is essential.
This is a great opportunity to join one of UK’s best places to work (Glassdoor 2021) if you want to grow, learn and develop in a professional, ambitious and friendly environment
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Support the validation of gene edited cell lines by
- Reviewing protein targets
- Planning and organizing sample preparations and validation testing for the team
- Performing high through-put sample preparations and Western Blots
- Reviewing in-house data
- Contributing to ideas and establishment of protocol and protocol improvements. Be proactive in their validation, optimisation and documentation and take responsibility for validating new assay protocols and their integration into standard work streams
- Abide by laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and keep accurate Batch Manufacturing Records (BMRs) and maintain high quality standards
- PhD in a life sciences field or equivalent qualification.
- Solid experience of the practical and theoretical aspects of experiments involving antibodies and western blot (WB) in a Life Sciences industrial or academic environment
- Able to interpret data across several applications as such as ELISAs, IP, ChIP, IP-MS, flow cytometry, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry would be a plus but not essential
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise, multitask and work to deadlines.
- Experience in writing and reviewing SOPs and risk assessments would be a plus
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, this could be the ideal opportunity to grow your career at Abcam so apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
We are incredibly proud to be recognised as the ‘3rd Best Place to Work in the UK in 2021’, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award. Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.